Mark your calendars and get ready to show your pride!
Warrington Pride 2023 is taking place on Saturday 24 June, with a programme of activities leading up to the event. Get ready for an unforgettable celebration, be inspired by powerful stories, immerse yourself in captivating performances, and connect with a community that embraces love and acceptance.
Partners including the council, Warrington Business Improvement District (BID), Warrington Market, Golden Square, Culture Warrington, Warrington Youth Zone, University of Chester and LiveWire have been collaborating to pull together a packed programme of activities and events.
The week leading up to Pride will also feature exciting events, thought-provoking talks, performances, and creative showcases. Brace yourself for an incredible line-up of activities that will set the stage for an unforgettable Pride Weekend in Warrington. Highlights include:
- Leading up to the event on Saturday 17 June, theUniversity of Chester will host talks, short films, social art café and an exhibition of student artwork at University Centre at Time Square – for more information, visit Eventbrite
- Barely Visible on Friday 23 June – see elements of physical theatre, pole and contemporary dance and acclaimed physical theatre director, Elinor Randle – it will bring playfulness, authenticity, and boldness to this mesmerising work. For more information, visit Culture Warrington’s website
- In Castlefield Gallery New Art Spaces (former M&S unit, Sankey Street), an art exhibition produced by young people will be open, 10am to 4pm, 24-25 June, with creative workshops taking place on Saturday 24 June
- Families and young people from Warrington Youth Zone will lead a parade through the town centre on Saturday 24 June, stopping at several Pride events before heading back to the Youth Zone
- Family-friendly activities throughout the day on Saturday 24June at Golden Square, including workshops, fashion shows, live performances and a silent disco
- An information and support hub will also be located outside the Customer Services Desk in Golden Square on Saturday 24 June, 9am to 4pm.
- On Saturday 24 June there will be a party atmosphere in Golden Square in the evening – ‘Glitter’ will be a celebration of Warrington Pride, featuring Fleur East, Crystal (Ru Paul Drag Race) DJ set, an Aerial display and MX World Set – the event is free to attend but tickets must be obtained via Eventbrite
Warrington BID’s project manager, Andrea Morley, said “As part of the Warrington Pride celebrations, the BID will continue to work and support businesses across the town centre with their plans for the day, showing their support for our LGBTQ+ community. We’re expecting a busy event and would like to extend our gratitude for the support provided by United Utilities, all of our partner agencies, emergency services and the council’s town centre team.”
Cllr Tom Jennings, cabinet member for economic development and innovation, said: “It’s fantastic to hear of all of the exciting events planned across Warrington as part of the Pride celebrations. The town centre will be alive with colour, performance and music – and there will be something for everyone to enjoy as we celebrate our town as an inclusive and diverse place to live, work and visit.
Cllr Tony Higgins, cabinet member for leisure and community said: “Warrington Pride 2023 is set to be an unforgettable celebration, with a huge range of exciting events and activities taking place across our town in the run up to, during and after 24 June.
“I’m looking forward to seeing our communities coming together to enjoy a programme packed with culture, expression and happiness. It will be a real showcase of Warrington at its best – as a diverse, welcoming and inclusive town.”