For the first time ever, The Tour of Britain is coming to Warrington! Think the Tour de France but in the UK instead.
The race will start at Alderley Park on the outskirts of Macclesfield then the Stage 5 Finish is happening in our town centre at the Golden Gates. There’s going to be lots going on in Warrington on the day including activities at Bank Park. As a result, there are going to be some road closures on the day.
We’ve put all of the handy links in one place to help you plan ahead:
Download the detailed road closure map here
View The Tour of Britain timetable here
Take a look at the offers available on the day here
Visit the Warrington Borough Council website which has lots of information about the race here
More about the race itself…
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past 16 years, the Tour of Britain is a multi-stage cycling event held on British roads in which cyclists compete throughout the country to complete the race in the shortest amount of time. In 2020, the event became a part of the new UCI ProSeries.
Wondering who sponsors the famous cycling race? OVO Energy, a British independent energy company, was announced as the race’s title sponsor in 2017, however, the Tour of Britain and the Women’s Tour is looking for a new sponsor after OVO chose to discontinue their sponsorship after three years. The 18 teams competing in the 2021 Tour of Britain are:
- Alpecin – Fenix (Belgium)
- Caja Rural – Seguros RGA (Spain)
- Canyon dhb SunGod (Great Britain)
- Deceuninck – Quick-Step (Belgium)
- Global 6 Cycling (New Zealand) – first appearance in 2021
- Great Britain (Great Britain)
- INEOS Grenadiers (Great Britain)
- Israel Start-Up Nation (Israel)
- Movistar Team (Spain)
- Rally Cycling (USA) – first appearance in 2021
- Ribble Weldtite Pro Cycling (Great Britain) – first appearance in 2021
- Saint Piran (Great Britain) – first appearance in 2021
- SwiftCarbon Pro Cycling (Great Britain)
- Team Arkéa – Samsic (France) – first appearance in 2021
- Team DSM (Germany)
- Team Jumbo – Visma (Netherlands)
- Team Qhubeka NextHash (South Africa)
- TRINITY Racing (Great Britain) – first appearance in 2021
We will see you tomorrow at the finish line!